Monday, May 4, 2009

Reduce Data Rate and Increase Speed on Safaricom

Since web 2.0 became real, most of web users are not necessarily geeks and few I know have experimented with Opera on the Desktop. Thought I'd share a trick I learnt that actually works(very few that I learn do... hehe).

pera Turbo(Beta) is a server-side optimization and compression technology that speeds up data transfer and to reduces the amount of data that needs to be downloaded in order to view the page by up to 80%. Now this is quite something if you feel exploited by the TelCon's Data Rates in Kenya if you are charged by the MB. It does also speed up your EDGE if you are inZane. So far I'm doing rates of abit more than HALF of what I was using meaning my bundles last TWICE as long.

You can download the test version of Opera Turbo right here and start playing around with it right away.

There are however some drawbacks which are tweak-able trade-offs for compression like getting hazy images but if you may be desperate for information/research/mail (not really media and you-tubing) this is the tool for you. For torrenters it also has a built-in client. I am still testing and discovering, so I'll update.

PS: Telkom-Orange have a bundle of 2GB for 2K. Sounds quite enticing. Early reviewers sound happy about their EDGE quality. It should be worth checking out.

2 comments:

3CB said...

Interesting idea. How heavy is the application? I only have 30 gigs on my machine, and i've used up just over 20

Obie said...

It is very light FYI just 6.1MB. Your space should be good. Enjoy emancipation! :)